Saturday, August 22, 2026

Tiny Italian Wars

I had previously mentioned that I made a purchase of some tiny 3D print, 6mm (Baccus are a bit bigger) Italian Wars armies and quick-play rules from a new company called Podrek Miniatures at Historicon. I painted up some before that project stalled a bit due to personal matters (more on that later).

Anyway, because I haven't posted recently I decided I would post some pictures of those tiny Italian Wars figures. 

Here you can see what I've painted up. Everything are on 1 inch bases as per the corresponding rules, Battle-Axe, suggest. It's enough for a French army for the rules although I have more figures for the French army that will need to be painted (in addition to a Spanish opponent and some Italians and Lansknechts).


First up are the Swiss Pike. In the rules they are pretty deadly. Each base has 4 strips of pile and I decided to place the strips with flags in the middle. I think it's historically accurate and hides any sloppy painting. 

Next up are the cavalry. From left to right: stradiots, mounted crossbowmen, "light" cavalry (think francs-archers or demi-lancers) and gendarmes. The gendarmes are also pretty deadly in the rules. 

Missile troops. In this case handgunners, my crossbowmen are half-painted. 

Artillery. As you can see the "sculpting" style is a bit cartoonish and simplistic. I like that. They paint up rather easily with a black prime, a light drybrish of tan or grey and block painting. I didn't give these guys highlights, everything was painted bright and I didn't ink them.

Commanders. I have one gilted armor. The sculpts remind me of the craftee wargames figures some people make with bits from the craft store. My old gaming buddy Matt Kirkhart used to make some really awesome armies and host incredibly fun games. Anyway, I look forward to finishing this project when I get back into the mental groove to paint them.

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! Great to see them painted up, I am so glad you are enjoying them!
    - Chase (Podrek Miniatures)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chase! I've been very impressed with the sculpts and really like the rules. I saw my hands and shirt made a cameo on one of the photos on your store. I'm honored!

      Delete