Thursday, September 26, 2024

A Chilean Detour...

I don't often travel for work, although the opportunity is always there I try to avoid it as much as possible. Sometimes, I can not avoid it....as I was making significant progress with my 6mm Killiecrankie project, an unavoidable work trip would require me to Santiago, Chile for 3 days. It would be a whirlwind of meetings but I wanted to make it worth my while in terms of my hobby and passion of wargaming miniatures and military history. 

Prior to the trip, I targeted two museums I would try to visit: Museo Histórico y Militar de Chile (Chilean Military History Museum) and Fundación Museo Guerra del Pacífico (Museum of the War of the Pacific). 

On the second day of the trip, I made a rather difficult trip to the Chilean Military History Museum. 









The museum was in a barracks style building and had displays beginning with the indigenous populations and their contact with conquistadors and covering up to 1970s or 1980s. 

My primary interests were the Wars of Independence (I have partially painted armies in 15mm) and the War of the Pacific (partially painted armies in 10mm and babies in 1/2400). 









Throughout the museum there were awesome dioramas of battle scenes. The figures ranged between something similar to HO scale all the way up to 54mm or so. In the picture above, the diorama is a clash between conquistadors and the indigenous tribes. 

The museum also had displays of mannequins in uniforms which were quite interesting. These two fellows are from the War of Independence wearimg various fatigue caps. 





I believe this is a diorama of the battle of Chacubuco (1817). In this battle the Patriot forces of San Martin defeated a Royalist army. 






This is a diorama of the Battle of Rancagua during the early years of the war of independence (1814 perhaps), in this battle the Royalist forces were victorious. 







This rather interesting diorama is the battle of Yungay in 1839 from the wars of confederation. I have to admit I don't know much about this period of conflict. 

There were some nice exhibits of the War of the Pacific which showcased weapons and uniforms. On display were a helmet and cuirass from the Bolivian cuirassiers which was interesting to see. 


The museum had a video presentation for the War of the Pacific but I didn't have time to watch it. Since it was quickly approaching the closing time for the museum, I walked through the later sections a little more quickly and snapped photos. 

The museum touched upon some civil wars or revolts and WW1 and WW2. There was a full-size replica of a German trench and also of cross-cut M3 Stuart tank. 


The museum appeared to finish up with military equipment from the 1970s and 80s as well as an expedition to Antarctica. 

On the way back to my hotel, I stopped off at Palacio de la Moneda which is the presidential palace. A coworker and I discussed the 1973 coup which ousted Salvador Allende from power and saw a siege of the Chilean Presidential Palace. We had both saw the movie Civil War on the 9 hour flight to Chile and we remarked on the irony of seeing that movie and it's final scene and walking by Palacio de la Moneda. 

Time wouldn't permit a visit to Fundación Museo Guerra del Pacífico which is a shame..much like Southeast Texas and the battlefield site of Palo Alto, I don't anticipate coming back to this part of the world again. However, my mind has gone to my unfinished projects for the South American Wars of Independence and The War of the Pacific. While I may never revisit this corner of the world again, I can at least revisit these projects.








No comments:

Post a Comment