Friday, September 15, 2023

A Hobby Purgatory of Sorts...

As I mentioned in a previous post, my employer decided it was a good time to send me down to Southeast Texas for the month of September. I didn't have much advance notice so I brought some wargaming rulesets, a few wargaming guides and my unpainted 10mm Crimean War lead. The plan was to read through some rules and prep the Crimean War figures (filing mold lines and trimming flash) so that I would have some semblance of hobby progress during my month long sojourn.

Since there will be no painting progress nor any wargaming eye candy photos of freshly painted miniatures, I decided to pull some photos from my phone camera and post what I was working on last.


Here we have some Magister Militum 10mm Crimean War Turks. My approach to painting these buggers was to prime them with GW Macragge Blue, ink and then drybrush with a lightened version of Macragge Blue before I painted the flesh, fez and other non-blue bitz. This photo was taken prior to me inking and basing them, which was done. I have plenty more Turks to paint up when I return.

Next up are some 10mm Viking Bondi, the sculpts are from Old Glory. These fellas were primed black, wetbrushed with a khaki color and then I proceeded to pick out various colors in assembly line fashion. Im' fairly pleased with them but they were a bit of a chore to paint, certainly more-so than most Old Glory strip figures. I should add that I am basing these for LittleWarsTV's RavenFeast big battle rules variant. I now have 10 stands of Bondi.

Finally, we have a very busy photo which was taken on my cluttered paint desk. In the foreground are some Old Glory 10mm Viking Hirdmen. There is a 3D printed damaged building behind them and then some of my Krapistan 15mm fighters and the aforementioned Viking Bondi.

My hope upon returning at the end of the month is to finish off the Krapistan project (which is to say get enough painted up for a proper game, I'm not sure if I ever truly "finish" projects. I always plan to add a few more units even if I never do). After that I'd like to continue tackling the RavenFeast project with the ultimate goal of painting up enough figures for the three scenarios of Fulford Gate, Stamford Bridge and Hastings. I'd also like to continue making progress with the Crimean War project.

Soon after arriving in Southeast Texas, I learned that Magister Militum is shutting down shop at the end of the month. Very sad news indeed. I have been ordering from them for many years and they have always provided tremendous service. I am a big fan of their 10mm sculpts (did I mention I love 10mm?), my WW1 armies, a good portion of my Dark Ages figures  and my Crimean War armies are all courtesy of Magister Militum.

In my downtime, when I'm not reading rules or prepping Crimean War figures, I have been slowly putting together my final order to Magister Militum. I will try to fill the gaps in various collections and I think I will order some Biblical armies so that I can field Middle Kingdom Egyptians, Hyksos, Libyans and Nubians. Hopefully, all of their new ranges find a good home so the miniatures aren't lost forever.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment