Saturday, March 16, 2024

6/10mm Russian Village

As I mentioned previously, next up would most likely be another Total Battle Miniatures village set. I decided to tackle the Russian village I plan to use for my Crimean War games. So here it is finished. 

In my post on the pike and shotte village, I neglected to include a picture of the village "footprint" sans buildings. As you can see there are recesses for the buildings to fit into. I believe these are in multiples of 30mm (e.g. 30x30, 30x60, etc.). 

Here we have the village with all of the buildings. The footprint was painted with brown craft paint as a base and highlighted. The shrubbery was painted olive and given a few gradually lighter green highlights via wet and drybrush methods.

And a different angle. I used a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Shield Brown and Neutral Grey as the base color for the buildings, I drybrushed them with the same mmix but some off-white added to lighten them up and make raised details and edges pop a bit more. Once painting was done, a gloss varnish was sprayed on all parts followed by an ink washing and matte varnish. The buildings also received some diluted Army Painter military ink to give the impression of vegetation growth (moss, lichen, etc) on the natural wood.

The village with a 10mm Russian infantry battalion marching through. The figures are Magister Militum which are no longer in business. 

Now some Russian Hussars (also Magister Militum) make a visit. 

The parade of Hussars from another angle. The figure bases are 30mm wide and just sneak thru the road running thru the village.

I started working on the Italian village which I hope to finish next and display in a subsequent post. The Italian set is all one integral piece and doesn't have the advantage of modularity.  


No comments:

Post a Comment