Sunday, January 22, 2023

10mm Dark Ages

I love all things 10mm and for many years I've been tempted by the Old Glory Dark Ages range. I had purchased a few packs many years ago but I never painted them and they ended up being sold off in one of my many lead purges. 

Recently the amazing Little Wars TV crew posted videos of their refights of the 1066 campaign involving Harald Hadrada's Vikings, Harold Godwinson's Anglo-Saxons and William's Normans. They used a big battle version of their Ravenfeast rules. In their games, they used 6mm Baccus figures and the masses of small figures really gave a big battle feel on a small table. 

All of this motivated me to copy their Ravenfeast big battle project but using 10mm Old Glory figures. Below are my first few bases of Viking bondi. Many of the Old Glory 10mm come in strips and the bondi are no different; I ended up clipping some of the strips and staggering them. Since there is only one type of strip in the bondi bag (the Old Glory 10mm ancient celts have different strips for their infantry allowing for more pose diversity), I could reposition the poses so its not always a helmetless viking on the end of the base.

Here are my first three bases. I went with 30mm square bases (Litko) 3mm thick  with rounded edges. I am pleased with the end result, and look forward to tackling the rest of the Vikings and Anglo Saxons. I will have to order up the Normans at some point.

 

3 comments:

  1. Great work Sir - Old Glory Grand Scale is my favorite too!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I just ordered a Norman army to fight the Saxons and the Vikings! Now I just need to paint them all!

    ReplyDelete