Sunday, February 19, 2023

A Challenge of Sorts...

Nearly every February, Pendraken hosts their annual painting competition. I participated last year with some success. In the months leading up to this year's competition I thought about what I would enter; I like to paint something specifically for the competition. 

Fast forward to last week and I still hadn't decided. I opted to paint up some figures from the Spanish Civil War, I ordered the figures during the height of the pandemic to support the hobby industry (and my hobby addiction). Specifically, these figures are Italians from the Corpo Trupo Voluntarie (CTV).

I would base them for FiveCore Company Commander. First I laid out the figures on the bases. I decided to go with 3 sections of infantry to form a platoon, a light machine gun, a heavy machine gun, a light mortar, a commander and a few tankettes (only one shown).

The next step was to cut the adhesive backed magnetic base bottoms. 

The figures were prepped (mold lines sanded down with a file), rinsed and glued to popsicle sticks. Once dry, I primed with a rattle can matte black. I touched up the primer with brush on Vallejo black primer.

The figures were then dry-brushed with a light grey to bring out the details. I didn't snap any pictures in the painting process. I base-painted and then I added one layer of high-lights (using the base paint along with some bone white). From what I have read, the CTV was in a green khaki uniform during the period I want to game them (Battle of Guadalaja). I painted the infantry uniforms using Vallejo Russian Uniform and the helmets and great coats were Vallejo Refractive Green.

The tankettes were another matter. For the Spanish Civil War, it seems they were painted in a reddish brown color with green splotches. 

After painting, I sprayed with gloss lacquer and inked them to bring out details. The ink was a mix of various AP inks: 2 parts dark, 2 parts strong, one part blue and 4 parts medium. Once the ink was dry, I popped the figures off and glued them to their stands.

On one of the tanks, I decided to add a crewman. The tankettes were so small, I wanted a crewman to show how small they were. I took an Italian officer pointing and carved it down, removing an arm and shaving and sanding down the adrian helmet. I added some two-part epoxy to sculpt the Italian tanker helmet. 

I shaved off the hatch on one of the tankettes but realized I shaved it down too much. I had to build it back up with plastic card and assembled a hatch out of thinner plastic card.

Here the crewman and hatch have been added to the tankette. Last up is adding grass flocking and matte varnish. 

Here is the completed infantry platoon and support elements. I went with a pale green grass as these guys were painted up to depict the CTV during the battle of Guadalajara which was in March, 1937.

I still need to photograph them for the competition. I will also add my French Revolution figures into the competition as well. Only 8 more days until the deadline. Wish me luck!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment